Daily Archives: April 9, 2012
If you imagine the mobility, smartphone, iPad, Android tablet being represented as a map of a generic metropolitan area, then I suggest that there is a new “App builder” website springing up an every street corner.
So after tackling the cloud infrastructure, delivery model and programming language in the Saas_Class, it seems appropriate to look at where the rubber ultimately meets the road in mobility the end-user experience — THE APP. No matter how cool, scalable, well-engineered or valuable your cloud application is on the backend, if the app sucks, you are dead in the water.
Over the next few weeks I will be building apps on some of the free or low-cost app building sites. Here are a few of the things I will be looking for:
- HTML5 versus native app building
- iOS vs. Android native app
- Integration with other platform apps and design guidelines
- Ease of use
- Ease of installation
- Sophistication of tool set to build a decent app
- Cost. If these app building sites are free, where is the money made? Has to be some monetization angle.
Now deciding on what the app will do is the next thing. It will be simple – the goal is to evaluate the tools not my application creation and design skills.
CHALLENGE: If you suggestions for app building sites or an application to build, leave it in the comments.